- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- fresh orange juice ( I used about 1/4 of one orange), to taste, optional
- cilantro leaves
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the carrots in a roasting pan and toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Season with the salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. Turn the carrots, add the onion and roast 15 minutes, until the carrots are brown and tender. When carrots are cool enough, cut them in bite-sized chunks.
2. Heat up a large soup pot over medium, add the carrot-and-onion mixture, cilantro leaves and the dry seasonings. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then stir in the lentils. Add the stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the lentils are falling apart. Squeeze in your orange juice, add more cilantro and check for seasoning and serve.