- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pounds lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to season the turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 or 5 mini bell peppers (*or one large bell pepper)
- 1 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP brown sugar (*I forgot to add this)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat and add ground turkey. Season with a dash of salt, pepper, onion powder. Once the meat is no longer pink, pour into a bowl and set aside.
2. Saute the peppers, onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, coriander, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and brown sugar and cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with garlic, elbow macaroni, and 2 cups water. Stir to combine, cover and keep at a high simmer for about 10 – 14 minutes or until juices are absorbed and macaroni is tender.
4. Stir in cheddar and season with freshly ground pepper. Taste for salt and add if needed.