Pinterest has saved the day several times in my kitchen. I had some produce that was passed its prime in my fridge, along with ground turkey that had to be used; and I even had a can of fire roasted tomatoes that I didn’t know why I purchased in the first place. I love how forgotten ingredients can become something so satisfying! Thanks for reading, enjoy!
Paleo Turkey Chili – adapted from Turtlewoman
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 28 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 TBSP DIY taco seasoning (*recipe below*)
- 1/2 cup water or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado for topping
- Add ghee or cooking fat of your choice to a 5 quart soup pot over medium/high heat. Saute the onions for about 3-5 minutes, then add the bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and chopped zucchini. Continue cooking for about 3 more minutes. Set the cooked veggies aside.
2. Add more fat to the pan and brown the turkey over medium heat, stirring to break up. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Once the meat is cooked through, add the veggies back into the pot and pour the tomatoes, water and seasoning over all. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 more minutes.
3. Stir periodically while it is simmering. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with chili toppings of your choice – I added diced avocado!
DIY Taco Seasoning – adapted from Against All Grain
- 2 1/2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 1/2 TBSP sea salt
- 1 1/2 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly blended. Makes 1/2 cup.