Quick Post: This is a family favorite! It’s so simple and tasty and definitely worth the effort. I use this recipe for pizza dough, about a pound and a half of browned sausage and a combination of mozz, smoked gouda and parmesan – those are really the only modifications I use. We eat this with a side of marinara (my favorite), but my husband prefers Alfredo sauce. Thanks for reading, enjoy!
Sausage Bread – adapted from Soup Belly
- 1 pound Italian sausage *1.5 pounds for us…doubling this recipe is a must!
- 8 oz. cubed mozzarella cheese *I grated my mozz, smoked gouda and a little parmesan
- 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 pound pizza dough *I used two 14.5 ounce balls for ours
- 1 egg yolk (for brushing on top of dough), beaten
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- salt & pepper
1) Removing sausage out of casing if necessary. Cook sausage until browned, crumbling into small bits. Drain grease, set aside to cool. In a bowl, combine sausage, cubed mozzarella, 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk. Add oregano, salt & pepper.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3) On a greased baking sheet, roll the dough out into a rectangle, as large as you can make it without creating holes or ripping it. Spread the sausage mixture on the surface but keeping a 1 inch border clear. Carefully roll the dough like a jelly roll and pinch the edges shut, and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Don’t panic if there are holes or you ripped multiple tears (see my disastrous looking picture below). Brush top of loaf with egg yolk mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cut slices with a bread knife, and serve warm or at room temperature.