Chilly nights are perfect for enjoying comfort foods that warm you from the inside out! This was flavorful and has the perfect amount of spiciness. We enjoyed it with this corn bread, aged cheddar cheese, cilantro and some sour cream. Thanks for reading, enjoy!
Chili Con Carne – adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 Tbsp red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- One – 2 pound chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste – season lightly
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño chili peppers, stems removed, seeded, ribs removed, minced
- 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1 14-oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese, cilantro and lime wedges for serving
1. In a small bowl mix the chili powder, chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, and ground coriander. Set aside.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat, add back in 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Working in batches so that you don’t crowd the beef (crowding will steam cook the meat instead of browning it), brown the beef cubes on all sides. Remove beef from pan, set aside.
3. Add another Tablespoon of bacon fat to the pan. Add the chopped onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño, cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add the chili paste and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Put onion chili mixture, beef, tomatoes, water, lime juice. Heat the chili on medium high heat until it comes to a simmer. Then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Then uncover and cook for another half hour, keeping the temperature at a place where you can maintain a simmer.
5. Gently mix in the kidney beans. Add salt to taste. Adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, cilantro and sour cream if desired. Serve with cornbread.
Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread – adapted from Allrecipes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 8×8 baking dish or a 9 inch cake pan.
2. Melt butter in large skillet (I put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Fold in the cheese and pour into your prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.(*mine took 30 minutes with convection)