This was so amazing! Perfectly seasoned and juicy – and not at all coconutty! I will make this again and again – even my daughter who practically drinks ketchup, said it was good without it! That’s a win in my book. I served this with steamed carrots and green beans, seasoned with salt, pepper and my fave Kerrygold butter. Thanks for reading, enjoy!
Citrus and Herb Roasted Chicken – adapted from Practical Paleo
- 1 – 3 to 4 pound whole chicken, rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Zest of one orange
- Half that orange, sliced into fourths
- One small onion, quartered
- 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (*or butter or bacon grease*)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Kitchen string for trussing
- Half sheet pan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Remove and gizzards or organs from inside the chicken. Stuff the chicken with the onions, garlic, and the citrus, truss the chicken if desired. Brush the chicken with melted coconut oil, and sprinkle it with the chopped rosemary, kosher salt, orange zest, and black pepper, and roast about 55-65 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees. Cooking time depends on the size of the bird but is approximately 20 minutes per pound.