These tasted pretty good and the yogurt sauce is a must to cool down the spiciness of the fish. Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy 🙂
Spicy Fish Tacos with Avocado-Yogurt Sauce – adapted from Crumb
Spicy Lime-Chipotle Fish –
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chipotle powder (or chili powder, if you prefer)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lb fresh mahi-mahi fillets (or any other firm white fish)
Avocado-Yogurt Sauce –
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
Tacos and Garnishes-
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Shredded cabbage
- Cilantro sprigs
- Lime wedges
Marinate the Fish:
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, chipotle powder, cumin, paprika and salt, and stir until smooth.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Rub on both sides with the lime-chipotle marinade. Transfer to a plate and cover tightly with plastic wrap, then transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
Prepare the Avocado-Yogurt Sauce:
- While the fish marinates, prepare the avocado-yogurt sauce.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the avocado, yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, salt and water, and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Cook the Fish:
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, saute the fish in the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil until opaque and flaky, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a platter. Using a fork, break up each filet into bite-sized chunks. Cover with foil, and set aside while you warm the tortillas.
Warm the Tortillas and Assemble the Tacos:
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium heat, warm the tortillas one at a time for 20-30 seconds per side, or until soft and flexible. Wrap the finished tortillas with a clean dishcloth to keep warm between batches.
- To assemble, place three tortillas on each plate and drizzle with avocado-yogurt sauce. Divide the fish evenly between the tortillas, then serve immediately with bowls of toppings so that everyone can top off their tacos as they please.