- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano (I used Mexican oregano)
- 4 Tbsp Ancho Chili Powder (I used 2 TBSP Ancho, 2 TBSP Chili powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 – 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Sea Salt
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the cast iron pot over a moderate heat. Add the oil, garlic, and onion and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Turn the heat on high, mix in the ground beef, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and stir until the beef mixture is deep red in color and the meat is no longer pink.
Add the beans, diced tomatoes, and water into the beef mixture. Bring it to a boil, switch off the heat and cover with a piece of parchment paper and then cover with the lid. Cook in the preheated oven for about 1 ½ hours and season with sea salt. Serve the chili with cheese, cilantro, and sour cream, if desired.