- 1 1/3 cups (10 5/8 ounces) lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) coconut oil
- 5 tablespoons (3 3/4 ounces) honey, molasses or maple syrup
- 4 cups (16 ounces) King Arthur Premium Whole Wheat Flour or 100% White Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver, optional (*I used vital wheat gluten)
- 1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) sunflower seeds, chopped*
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) walnuts, chopped*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
*A quick whirl in the food processor does the job nicely.
To prepare the dough: Combine all of the ingredients, and mix them till you have a shaggy dough. Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes, then knead till fairly smooth. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for about 2 hours, or until it’s puffy and nearly doubled in bulk.
Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ bread pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap (or a clear shower cap), and allow it to rise for about 2 hours, till it’s crowned about 1″ to 2″ over the rim of the pan.
Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil for the final 20 minutes of baking. Yield: 1 loaf.