Quick Post: As a kid, I hated tomato soup…but that was the condensed kind, so I had every right! 😉 Because of that bad experience, I have only recently tried tomato soup again. I was a little obsessed with Panera’s creamy tomato soup and adult grilled cheese, and decided that I needed to recreate that meal at home. This batch makes quite a lot of soup, but it freezes beautifully! My kids loved this and agree that I need to make it again 🙂 Thanks for reading, enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Soup –
- 2 TBSP olive oil or butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 28 ounce cans of whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano or other good quality is best)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. raw sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, optional
*Special Equipment – immersion blender, food processor or blender
1. Heat up oil or butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, their juices, thyme and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove the thyme, and carefully puree the soup. ( I used my immersion blender in the pot, while using the pot lid as a shield 😉 It worked great!).
4. Whisk in cream; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with Parmesan if desired.